The Bear Branch Elementary PTA provides funding each academic year for a scholarship for one graduating high school senior who attended Bear Branch Elementary. The amount of the scholarship is $1,000.
To support students who are focused on achieving career goals through higher education and who have been involved in community service. In evaluating each application, the Scholarship Committee will also consider participation in school activities and scholastic merit.
- Applicant must be a graduating high school senior from a high school in Humble ISD.
- Applicant must have attended Bear Branch Elementary.
- Applicant must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or its equivalent (letter of verification required).
- Applicant or applicant’s parent/guardian must be a member of a local PTA/PTSA in good standing (signature from current PTA/PTSA president or membership chair verifying membership).
- Applicant must plan to be enrolled full-time in an accredited college, university, or technical institute.
- Applicant must not be in the immediate family of a BBE Scholarship Committee member.
- Completed application and required paperwork must be delivered to Bear Branch Elementary School, 3500 Garden Lake Drive, Kingwood, Texas 77339 by 4 p.m. on Monday, 16 April 2018.
In order to qualify for this scholarship, the application must be accompanied by the following:
- Essay: A typewritten, double-spaced 250-300 word essay describing how a PTA event or program inspired you or helped you choose a career path. Some BBE PTA events include Red Ribbon Week, Fall Fest, Art Masterpiece, Reflections, Bike Rodeo, Beautification, Everybody Counts, Memory Book Club, Science Lab, or Veteran’s Day. See the rubric for how the committee will score the essay.
- Activities: List at least three extracurricular activities during your high school years that you are most proud of, with a brief description of why you selected each. These activities may include, but are not limited to, work experience, awards, community involvement, and special honors/recognitions.
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, or principal from your current high school.
- Photo: A recent photo no larger than 2.5” x 3” glued, not stapled, to the application.
SELECTION AND APPLICATION
The BBE PTA Scholarship Committee will review applications, and the recipient will be notified by Tuesday, 01 May 2018. The recipient will be honored at the BBE Reunion Tea for the Class of 2018 graduates.
The scholarship will be awarded to the individual, with payments made directly to the educational institution. The applicant chosen to receive the scholarship award must submit a copy of their letter of acceptance from the educational institution, along with the institution’s business address, to the Scholarship Committee. Upon receipt, a check made payable to the institution will be sent to the student.
Deadline for applying is 4 p.m. on Monday, 16 April. All entries submitted to the Scholarship Committee will become the property of the BBE PTA and will not be returned. Contact the Scholarship Committee Chair at email@example.com with questions.